Tuesday, August 26, 2014

BBQ Garden Party Styling


A couple of weekends ago I hosted my bestie's birthday BBQ garden party at my house! The moment my boyfriend suggested we host a BBQ for her and she agreed, I knew I wanted to do my best to make the yard look amazing! Right away my first thoughts were lanterns, string lights and bunting. When I caught up with her to discuss it, we had the exact same thoughts which was awesome!



I love the beautiful jacaranda tree in our backyard. It was the perfect backdrop our outdoor seating, firepit and food table. We also used the tree to hang parts of our lights, bunting and lanterns.



We also used our clothesline as part of the styling, by hanging some of the string lights, lanterns and bunting from the line and stringing them from the line to the tree as well. It worked really well!


We used my Fujifilm Instax instant camera to take photos through the party, and so I set up this little 'Photo Wall'. I painted an old pin board (which I now have in my workspace!) and decorated it with washi tape, string and tiny wooden pegs. People took the instant photos and hung them on the little photo wall! I think this would work even better for a daytime party (it got a bit dark later) or a kid's/early teens party.





We had quite a collection of jars in our cupboard, so we put tealight candles in them and set them up around the seating area. Candles always make spaces look more magical. ;)





We didn't spend a lot of money on anything. The lanterns were all cheap, and the solar string lights didn't cost much and are something which we will continue to use anyway, so they are nice to have. The most expensive thing was the firepit, but I've been wanting to get one anyway, and again it'll be great to have for other occasions! The mismatched seating and candles in jars and cushions and rugs we used were all things we had around the house, and it all served the purpose really well. I had SO much fun setting up the space, just working with the few things that we had.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of the actual party or the lights and firepit lit up at night that I can share with you guys. I got quite distracted once people were there and didn't get around to taking photos like I intended to, oops! 

Tips:
+ Milk crates make awesome additional seating or table options.
+ You don't need to spend a lot on decorations to make a space feel really comfortable and welcoming
+ Rugs on the ground with cushions and blankets worked really well as comfortable relaxed seating around the fire
+ Good company and good food is the most important part, with a little bit of effort in the decoration to make it feel special.

No comments:

Post a Comment